Friday, October 05, 2007

Switzerland

It stayed warm and muggy all day.

Wall sockets for electricity in Switzerland are not compatible with those in the rest of Europe. Fortunately I could borrow an adapter from the hotel. There is a socket in my room that will take the European plugs, but no such luck at the Holy Cross Church.

I did (for me) a great deal of walking, so an afternoon soaking in the tub in my room was just what the doctor ordered.


Thursday night David played about one third of the program, then in the hotel restaurant he spoke of some of the history of Basel, and its Catholic and Protestant heritage. I wish I'd taken notes! The organ pre-dates the churches - it was used at the head of an army as they went into battle. These large steam-driven calliopes must have been frightening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home