Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Over breakfast


Here's a view of the Rhine from just behind the Münster. It is fast-flowing, but I've heard that people swim in it. It is a matter of getting in and being carried downstream I think.



There's a curious behaviour one can observe at any bed and breakfast establishment. The breakfast room is usually quiet and people drift, select the table the greatest distance from any other party already breakfasting, they make selections from the range of foodstuffs laid out, and place their order for tea of coffee. Invariabley I have found that milk is provided with the coffee, even though you replied in the negative when the host made a point of asking if you would care for milk with your coffee.

Anyway, the scene is now set for the very peculiar behaviour. Each of the couples in the breakfast room begin speaking to each other sotto voce, presumably so that other parties in the room will not be able to hear what they have to say. The trouble is, the person across the table can't hear what they have to say either, and every 2nd or 3rd phrase is greeted with "Hmm?". This expression seems to be the same in any language. I really felt for the mumbling couple across the room from me this morning. We three were the only ones there, and I felt like telling them it was OK for them to speak up, my German isn't good enough for me to understand anything they are telling each other anyway!



After getting some fruit (including raspberries of course!) I spent a while around the Münster today. It is a fabulous square, and from drawings I've seen from the 1400s, it looks much the same today as it did then!





I've made a ticket change today - it will be more convenient to fly home from Zurich than Copenhagen. It would have been nice to go back to Copenhagen, however we need the extra days here, and there's not much point going back there to spend an hour in transit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home